Pages

People reading this now

How companies love to control people

Why do we, as workers, let a company rule our lives?

I don't know about how you feel about earning a paycheck, but I work to pay my bills, eat and enjoy life. I do not work to enable the company I work for an endless supply of my talents and labor. So why do companies like to insist that you are working for THEM and not for YOU.

A case in point is
"mandatory" overtime. Now if that is not an oxymoron, I don't know what is. The dumb shit in charge of operations at the place I work at tried to pull that one last year. What they managed to do was lose 5 devoted workers who promptly found other jobs. His strategy failed, big time.

Another case in point is that companies try to put demands on what their employees do in their "off" time. The most notable case in the news is Charlie Sheen. He was fired from his job because of what he does in his time away from work. He was also chastised for "bad mouthing" his boss. Are you guilty of "bad mouthing" your boss? Should you be fired from your job because of that wild weekend you had last month?

I don't know about nowadays, but years ago a company frowned on people who had 2 jobs. It was called "moonlighting" and you could get fired for it. Those companies insisted that you worked for THEM and only THEM. Talk about control freaks.

How about companies that insist that you stay longer than 40 hours a week just because you are salary? I interviewed with a company for a salaried position and the interviewer said that the company expected you to put in 50 hours a week. I had a boss once that quit because he finally figured out that with his hours and pay rate, he was only earning $5.70 an hour.......he was salary. Those companies figured out how to by pass the overtime laws that are put in place to protect workers by insisting their employees are paid salary rates instead of hourly pay. There ought to be a law against that.

Yes, companies try to get away with as much employee abuse as they can, as long as their bottom line benefits from it. All I can say is bring back the unions like they use to be in the early 20th century. Us workers need more protection.

Get The Dumb Shits I Work With on your Kindle. Click on the link for a free 14 day trial today.

No comments:

Post a Comment