Pages

People reading this now

The best way to walk out on your employer

Don't you just hate it when you really hate where you are working but can't seem to quit? I walked out on one company and loved it.

Back in the early 1980's I worked for a company in Menlo Park, CA that made controllers for robotics. I worked there for 6 years when I fell in love and married a co-worker. During those 6 years I was convinced by my "old school" thinking dad that you never quit a job. His idea was that once you were in a job for a few years you stayed there until the company shut its doors or
you retired. I listened to him and wasted 6 years of my life at a go nowhere job. I was convinced that no other company would hire me and that I could not afford to quit. After I got married my husband was supportive of me leaving for greener pastures.

The boss, Fred, was a PITA. He treated me like cheap labor even though I was the head of a department but without the pay to go with it. I would complain about poor lighting, no heating or air conditioning but they all went in one ear and exited out the other. Long hours in a neighborhood known for rapes, this was not my ideal employer.

After I was passed up for yet another promotion, I was ready to move on. Fred had gone on vacation and the person in charge was acting worse than he was. Fred was only gone for 2 days when I had, had enough. I got all of my personal belongings together and put them in my car. I next destroyed all of the work instructions that I had written for the department. Fred told me that he did not want my department to have any in the first place so that is what he got..........nothing. I did not take anything belonging to the company but I did make certain log books hard to find. Then I went home at quitting time.

The next morning I called in and quit on the phone. I told them to have my paycheck ready so I could drop by later that day and pick it up. They told me that they could hold my paycheck for a week but at the time the law said they couldn't and I threatened to report them to the department of labor............the paycheck would be ready in 2 hours. It pays to know the state laws. Within an hour I got a call from Fred asking my why I quit and begging me to come in and talk. I said he already knew why and that he treated me like dirt and I was fed up with being his doormat.

I picked up my paycheck that afternoon. Said my goodbyes to the co-workers I knew and was out of there in under 15 minutes.

I found a great job within a week and worked there for 12 years until the company shut down.


Get The Dumb Shits I Work With on your Kindle. Click on the link for a free 14 day trial today.

No comments:

Post a Comment